< back to the blog

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Artist review #1: Kim Davies of Victoriana Vintage Floral Boutique

In my first ever artist review I've chosen Kim Davies of Victoriana Vintage Floral Boutique, Whitehead.

I've chosen Kim firstly because I knew she was up for it!  Everyone loves talking about themselves, but not everyone is willing to be honest enough to bare all.   She wasn't too keen on having her picture taken just after dawn but, true professional that she is, Kim agreed to a couple of impromptu early morning snaps.

Secondly, I chose Kim to review first because I liked her instantly the moment I stepped into her shop just over a year ago.  Mum and I were treated like old friends, made to feel completely at ease in her beautiful shop with no obligation to buy.  Kim is such a natural person, just like her flowers.  I can honestly say without ulterior motive that her flower shop is the nicest I've ever come across on my travels - and that's down to Kim, yes, but also the other unusual vintage items and handicrafts on sale which she has selected with care.  A perfect combination of beauty and history you can only find in Kim's shop.

Mum and I visit Kim's whenever we can.  One very fond memory is of buying my mum a voucher for her to select her own bouquet of country flowers one by one.  Mum loved it - she was in her element - and it was far less expensive than a pre-wrapped bunch from the garage.  For £5-£10 you can totally spoil yourself - no excuse required!





Tell us a bit about yourself, Kim:
My name is Kim Davies.  I'm owner of Victoriana Floral Boutique and Vintage Home in Whitehead. Our website is www.victorianafloral.co.uk.



How did you get started?
How have your life experiences shaped your work?
I was made redundant after 20+ years in the Banking and Insurance world and decided to go for a change of career. I've always been interested in growing and arranging flowers. My Mum would say when she was looking for me as a child I was always in the garden picking and arranging flowers to give to people. I also have a love of old items, vintage treasures and when I loved in London spent lots of weekends trawling the markets for unusual pieces for my home. It was inevitable really that these two great loves of mine would eventually come together.



What pieces of your work are you particularly proud of?
I am particularly proud of the wedding work I do. Every wedding is so personal and individual and it is truly a privilege to be part of someone special day.
As I worked within the customer facing industry for so long customer service is paramount to me. It has shaped the way I do things from initial meetings with Brides for wedding consultations to dealing with bereaved family members who have lost loved ones. I always try and show empathy and support and make the client feel as comfortable as possible.



How do you handle criticism?
I think criticism is welcomed in Victoriana. If there are aspects of our work or service which can be improved on we need to learn form that. However no one likes criticism especially when we try so hard to make everything we do as perfect as possible. We need to see it as a learning opportunity.



How do you stay inspired?
I stay inspired by reading and researching a lot. There are lots of new ideas posted on the internet by people at the fore front of the florist industry. I generally use the world around me and nature as my inspiration and try to recreate some of the things I see in my floral arrangements.



Which artists do you look up to?
We're lucky here in Northern Ireland as we have some fabulous florists working here. Two of my faves are Karen in House of Elliott http://houseofelliottflowers.co.uk, Lisburn and Jill in The Stables Flower Company Coleraine http://www.thestablesflowercompany.com. They have a lovely loose style to their work. Further afield I love Paul Thomas Flowers http://www.paulthomasflowers.co.uk, Jay Archer Floral Design http://www.jayarcherfloraldesign.com and McQueens http://www.mcqueens.co.uk. Again all a beautiful loose style using great colour palettes.



What are your hobbies?
I don't have a lot of time for hobbies as the shop keeps me busy but when I have time off I love being in the garden amongst my cut flower and vegetable beds. I also keep hens and ducks and enjoy watching them following me about the garden. A special treat is sourcing vintage items from Antique fairs in England when I go to visit friends.



Do you experiment with other art forms?
I have been known to make some clothes form my children when they were smaller and I enjoy doing the odd wee bit of knitting. I have also decoupaged and painted furniture for my house.



In what way do you use the internet for your craft?
I use the internet a lot for my business, both in promoting it through my facebook page and website and I also write a regular blog about what's happening in my flowery world. I use the internet to look at what else is going on in the florist industry and with my competition.



What advice would you give anyone considering crafting full time?
Advice for someone wanting to turn their craft into a business would be do your research, see what else is out there, promote yourself through facebook. Be original. Don't duplicate other people's ideas, believe in yourself and just go for it!


Where do you see your craft taking you in the future?
I would like to see myself becoming the number one choice for floral designs for those getting married or having a celebration in Northern Ireland who want something original and quirky. If I achieve this then who knows what's next......?



Contact Kim directly:
Telephone: 07740721799 
Email: www.victorianafloral.co.uk
Website: www.victorianafloral.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/www.victorianafloral.co.uk?fref=ts

This is the first of a series of Artist Reviews I'm working on.  I'd like to thank Kim for being so generous with her interview and wish her every success with her beautiful, beautiful shop! I hope you get the chance to visit and treat yourself to a bouquet of flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment